POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Just dawdling : Re: Just dawdling Server Time
18 Jun 2024 10:15:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just dawdling
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 May 2016 02:52:11
Message: <573abf9b$1@news.povray.org>
On 16-5-2016 23:03, Kenneth wrote:
>> On 16-5-2016 12:26, Kenneth wrote:
>

>>> (I discovered this quirk by chance; your code had a small typo in the image_map
>>> entry, that didn't quite match your .png image's actual name. But it rendered
>>> successfully anyway!)
>>
>> Oh? I don't see any difference between the two names on my side.
>>

> Hmm, that's strange. On my end (using Firefox as a browser), here's what I
> see...
>
> (your code snippet)
> image_map {
>                  png"Mapping_test.png" gamma 1.0 interpolate 2
>                }
>
> Attachments:
> download "mapping_test.png" (48 KB)
>
> .... and the .png file is saved on my system as "mapping_test"

Strange. Using Firefox myself, I have no differences made with the
downloads. They are exactly conform the originals.

> About the depth map: I assume that you created it in POV-Ray (using a
> white-to-black color_map laid over the model in +z?) Perhaps you could run TWO
> renders, one for just the face, and one for the areas behind the face (ears,
> neck, etc.), using some kind of (precise!) trick with *different* color_maps,
> plus appropriate inner/outer transparency for each render (to separate the
> areas.) Then combine them in GIMP.

Yes, That may be an interesting experiment to do.

> OR, you could separate your original depth-map image into two parts with a
> precise mask, and boost the contrast of just the face.

I tried that with no particular success.

> I can't say for sure if either method would actually produce a 'correct'
> isosurface face shape, but it might be worth a try.  It's kind of like trying to
> make a face using a height_field and a depth-map; I've tried doing that, with
> not-very-good results. The image_map artwork has to be made *just so*, and bears
> little resemblance to an actual face!

I have to agree with you on that. I had hoped for a straightforward use
of a depth map but it is not as simple as that.

A third option I might try is to scale the head excessively in the z
direction before making the depth map. But even then subtle details like
the eyes may get lost.

--
Thomas