POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Just dawdling : Re: Just dawdling Server Time
18 Jun 2024 10:13:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just dawdling
From: Alain
Date: 16 May 2016 17:25:07
Message: <573a3ab3$1@news.povray.org>

> Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>

>> If you are under Windows, file paths, including files names, are always
>> case insencitive.
>>

> Really?! That is something I didn't know. In all my years of using POV-Ray on
> Windows, I've always been extremely careful to spell file names exactly as they
> should be-- when I didn't have to be so precise, apparently! Strange that I've
> never noticed that before.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Actually, I think that it's going to be hard for me to get used to this 'new'
> idea (new to me!)-- trying to change about 15 years' worth of old habits. Ha!

It's a leftover from DOS 1.0. DOS 0.1 alpha to DOS 7.xx, and Windows 1.0
to Windows 10, have always been case insencitive. But, who know, maybe
in some future time Windows could become case sencitive...
Also, the infamous backslash "\" comes from the bad decision of using
the forward slash for switches and command lines options that where not
to be set ON/Off (+ -) but activated by presence, like dir /w. They also
used the pipe "|" in some cases for no real reasons.

If you are on Unix/Linux, then the paths ARE case sencitives. Probably
on MacOS to. So, it's may be a good habit to have.

Alain