POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Just dawdling : Re: Just dawdling Server Time
18 Jun 2024 10:12:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just dawdling
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 May 2016 07:42:31
Message: <5739b227@news.povray.org>
On 16-5-2016 12:26, Kenneth wrote:
>> I need a bit of help. I made a depth_map of a Poser head (see attached)
>> and thought that using it in the Rockhead code would be straightforward.
>> It is, except that the face remains flat with hardly a hint of features.
>
> Hi, Thomas.
>
> I've been testing out your code (which is very cool, by the way), and the only
> problem seems to be with the depth-map image itself ("mapping_test".) The facial
> features apparently do not have enough contrast, from dark to light. I took your
> image and toyed with it in Photoshop-- adding some simple, darker 'test
> features' to the face-- and they successfully showed up on your isosurface.  If
> it helps, I'll try to upload my test image here, so you can plug it into
> your code, to see the difference. (It's a jpeg image, with a gamma of 2.2.)

Thanks Kenneth. I indeed suspected the contrast of the depth_map and
wondered how I could best improve that. I tried first to vary the
pigment_map {} range with different shade values of grey; then I used
the Gimp to see if I could improve the contrast but neither was good
enough. Clearly the image needs contrast from the start or like you did.
Sam's original map was better and with better results (see attachments).
I had hoped to get away with mine but have to invent some clever tricks
apparently. I think I am going to put the image through a more thorough
laundering in Gimp ;-)

> By the way (and a bit off-topic): I'm currently running one of Clipka's
> 'development builds' (not the latest one, unfortunately), and I noticed that, in
> your code, I could substitute "MAPPING_TEST" for "mapping test" (i.e., all
> capital letters), even though your image's name wasn't written that way-- but
> your .png image still loaded successfully, without a fatal error(!) That came as
> a big surprise to me; up until now, I was sure that things like image_map names
> (in an SDL scene) had to be spelled *exactly* like the image itself, or the
> scene wouldn't run. I don't know if this is a new 'feature', or if it's just a
> temporary glitch in my particular development build.

Good to know. I thought names had to be consistent especially with
capitals.

> (I discovered this quirk by chance; your code had a small typo in the image_map
> entry, that didn't quite match your .png image's actual name. But it rendered
> successfully anyway!)

Oh? I don't see any difference between the two names on my side.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'sb_rockhead1.png' (192 KB) Download 'rockman.png' (107 KB)

Preview of image 'sb_rockhead1.png'
sb_rockhead1.png

Preview of image 'rockman.png'
rockman.png