POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Artist WANTED! : Re: Artist WANTED! Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:25:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Artist WANTED!
From: Alain
Date: 8 May 2016 12:50:19
Message: <572f6e4b$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi again.
> I wish there was a way to just edit the previous post.
> I have done a little fix to the code in the UCone and OCone definitions.
When replying, you can cut out parts of the original post that are no
longer relevant.

> // POV Data - Mantel Clock II Modified for POV 1.00
> // Mike Miller 11/1/91

Those textures fall short regarding the physical concistency.
First, you don't want those to actualy glow...

#declare GOLD = texture { finish {//--Bright Reflective Gold--
roughness 0.02 ambient 0.3 diffuse 0.5
reflection 0.6 brilliance 8.0 specular 0.5 }
pigment { color red 0.62 green 0.55 blue 0.0  }
}

#declare SILVER1 = texture { finish {//--Bright REFLECTIVE SILVER--
roughness 0.05 ambient 0.2 diffuse 0.5
reflection 0.6 brilliance 7.0 specular 0.5 }
pigment { color red 0.6 green 0.6 blue 0.6 }
}

Try those metallic textures instead:

#declare GOLD = texture{
  finish{ambient 0 diffuse albedo 0.2
   brilliance 8 specular albedo 0.5 roughness 0.02 metallic
   reflection{0.6 metallic}
  pigment{rgb<0.62, 0.55, 0>}
}
#declare SILVER1 = texture{
  finish{ambient 0 diffuse albedo 0.2
   brilliance 7 specular albedo 0.5 roughness 0.05 metallic
   reflection{0.6 metallic}
  pigment{rgb 0.6}
}

You'll probably notice a nice improvement in your scene.
When that scene was cerated, several features where not created.

> #declare OCone = //--CONE POINT DOWN IPOINT at 000--
> intersection {
> quadric { Cone_Y scale <1 1 1> texture { GOLD } }
> plane { <0 -1 0> 0 }
> plane { <0 1 0> 1 }
> }
>
> #declare UCone = //--CONE POINT UP IPOINT at 000--
> intersection {
> quadric { Cone_Y scale <1 1 1> texture { GOLD } }
> plane { <0 1 0> 0 }
> plane { <0 1 0> (-1) inverse}
> }

Much beter definitions for those objects follow:
#declare OCone = cone{0, 0, y, 1 texture {GOLD}}
#declare UCone = cone{0, 0, -y, 1 texture {GOLD}}

Those render faster and are bounded shapes. The cone primitive render
faster than the quartic, and you don't need an intersection of 3 elements.
The originals are unbounded, or treated as "infinite" objects. An
intersection of infinite primitives is itself unbounded.

Alain