POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ovus : Re: Ovus Server Time
15 May 2024 05:15:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ovus
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 5 May 2016 09:15:47
Message: <572b4783$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/04/2016 03:19 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 04.05.2016 um 18:14 schrieb Le_Forgeron:

> (*) On the other hand, it could still be considered an extension to the
> ovus, as in "an ovus, but don't give me the spheres because I already
> have them"; most notably, the parameterization, as you envision it,
> would still be based on the concept of an ovus; also, it would make a
> lot of sense in terms of implementation, because all you'd have to do
> would be to suppress the spherical portions.

My thoughts - while probably not following you both completely. Also
being more interested in getting at the inner citrus shape than having
more flexible egg/ovus shapes.

I vote for providing access to the citrus shape as an extension to the
ovus given we have the ovus today - at least as seen by us users.
Perhaps too we should continue calling it the citrus shape of the ovus
given it has been introduced as such already. Though certainly other
names, like those suggested, would be more descriptive for such a shape
standing apart.

Aside: I played some with this inner shape as an isosurface some while
back on seeing the ovus introduced. It looked a useful base
shape/function. However, the sharp points on the end drive up the
isosurface time considerably, so having other access to this shape would
be cool.

When we want:

1) the full citrus shape. Would we specify a length directly or do this
by specifying the distance between the two spheres and both radii as
zero or nearly zero?

2) the citrus shape clipped equally on both ends - the barrel shape.
Would we specify a distance between spheres, both radii the same and
then to drop both spheres from the result?

3) the citrus shape clipped at one end -an ogive or bullet. We'd do
something like (2), but be able to drop just the larger sphere while the
other sphere stays with a near zero radius out at the end of the citrus?

4) the citrus shape clipped unequally... Is this doable at all as a
give-me-the-citrus extension to the ovus? It looks to me like the clip
to the larger sphere happens perpendicular to the origin of that sphere,
but the clip to the smaller sphere is somehow calculated & not clear to
me how?

Bill P.