POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ovus : Re: Ovus Server Time
28 Apr 2024 17:49:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ovus
From: clipka
Date: 4 May 2016 15:49:30
Message: <572a524a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.05.2016 um 18:46 schrieb Le_Forgeron:

> I said "limbs", but it might also be some "bead" (olive), "barrel" (especially the
open variation could be
> fine to make barrel shape... just that open then would be a misname, unless we drop
the sphere forever and
> open behave like "cone")... and some native English speakers are welcome to
contribute

"ogive" (no, not "olive" ;)) might be a suitable term, though our
ovus-without-spheres object would be a slightly more generalized shape
(even the most generic variant of a true ogive still has one pointed end).

I'd be really reluctant to make the parameterization of such an object
fit a special use case such as limbs; parameterization of primitives
should generally be linked to the underlying mathematical representation
in a straightforward manner, and any use-case-specific parameterization
should be done via macros; that's what they are for.

As another consequence, in the absence of an "open" keyword the ends of
such a shape should not be spherical, but planar.