POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ovus : Re: Ovus Server Time
28 Apr 2024 18:25:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ovus
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 4 May 2016 12:46:27
Message: <572a2763$1@news.povray.org>
Le 04/05/2016 18:14, Le_Forgeron a écrit :

>>> I think the ovus primitive is the perfect place to put these extensions;
>>> after all, I'm sure the ability to tweak these parameters will give us
>>> better results when trying to approximate true egg shapes.
>>
>> BTW, if you're worried that the extensions might seriously impact
>> performance (which I doubt), you might have a look at the "torus"
>> primitive, which currently maps to two different C++ objects depending
>> on the parameters chosen: "Torus" for the standard case, and
>> "SpindleTorus" for the case of a self-intersecting torus.
>>

> Actually I was more thinking about other possible extension(s), like "open"
> which could remove the spheres (a non-sense for ovus, per definition).
>
> Why would I remove the spheres ? Well... with more parameters, and maybe a more
> sexy syntax, it could come as an handy "arm"/"leg"/... object or part, in something
> like a sphere_sweep. So to avoid coincident surfaces (and reduces the number of
objects ?),
> it could be something like (think "cylinder" vs "torus")
>
> sphere { P1, R1 }
> limbs { P1, R1, P2, R2 , SR12 open } // distance between spheres is vlength(P2-P1)
> sphere { P2, R2 }
> limbs { P2, R2, P3, R3, SR23 open }
> sphere { P3, R3 } // and so on
>
> Px are points, Rx are radius, SRxy are spindle radius
>
> And maybe, while we are at it, a function (for SDL) to compute the minimal radius of
the spindle

I said "limbs", but it might also be some "bead" (olive), "barrel" (especially the
open variation could be
fine to make barrel shape... just that open then would be a misname, unless we drop
the sphere forever and
open behave like "cone")... and some native English speakers are welcome to contribute

what it might looks like (without the spheres at the ends, and not pierced):

http://media.cdnws.com/_i/10753/m840-4466/2220/70/3aut0048olivefilament.jpeg