POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lathe. Bezier_spline. Problem : Re: Lathe. Bezier_spline. Problem Server Time
18 May 2024 09:58:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lathe. Bezier_spline. Problem
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 4 May 2016 12:09:04
Message: <572a1ea0@news.povray.org>
On 05/03/2016 01:02 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 03.05.2016 um 18:32 schrieb William F Pokorny:
>
>> And down the rabbit hole we go. :-)
>
> See what I meant when I said I wouldn't have the time right now? ;)

Certainly beginning to get the picture! Guess I'm still trying to figure
out whether there is some tactical, near term parser checking changes
that could be made to make the lathe more friendly to users.

To that end I have been working on test cases. I'm not done and work
will slow as I have family in town for a long weekend starting later today.

However, I'll to post a couple images in response to your question about
Lanuhum's lathe in particular. Here the blue are inside out and
correspond to LanuHum's original ordering. The red have been flipped in
order to the bezier spline.

The two rows at top have been modified so there are no negative
coordinates in x but the shape still closes to x==0 at top and bottom.
The bottom to rows are the original points.

So! Depending on the angle of the ray relative to the lathe, it looks
like the x<0 control point does indeed sometimes cause a flip in normals
at one end.

In other news the ordering of X as in Y can also flip normals - suppose
expected mostly.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'setlanuhum_orthographic.jpg' (85 KB) Download 'setlanuhum_orthographic.png' (456 KB)

Preview of image 'setlanuhum_orthographic.jpg'
setlanuhum_orthographic.jpg

Preview of image 'setlanuhum_orthographic.png'
setlanuhum_orthographic.png