POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ovus : Re: Ovus Server Time
29 Apr 2024 00:09:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ovus
From: clipka
Date: 4 May 2016 08:23:52
Message: <5729e9d8$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.05.2016 um 08:49 schrieb Le_Forgeron:
> Le 03/05/2016 00:37, clipka a écrit :
>> Gerome, this one primarily goes out to you:
>>
>> I've just come across the documentation of the "ovus" primitive, and am
>> a bit puzzled.
>>
>> The parameters of the top and bottom sphere are clear enough.
>>
>> However, what I don't understand is how the major and minor radii of the
>> connecting spindle section are determined; theoretically we should have
>> an infinite number of different spindles to choose from.
>>

> The minor radius of the spindle is twice the biggest radius of the
> circles. (in code : ConnectingRadius).
>
> The major radius of the spindle is implicit, as only the position of the
> center of the circle of the torus is computed. (in 2D)
>
> The choice of the minor radius (biggest circle x 2) is so that when the
> smaller radius would disappear (aka be near 0), the remaining sphere and
> the spindle would merge. (well, in fact, the visible part of the spindle
> would also disappears, without discontinuity)

I just pondered about these words for a while, puzzled, until I realized
that there is another parameter we don't have control over: The distance
between the two spheres. According to the docs this is fixed to the
radius of the bottom sphere, right? (Does this also hold true if the
bottom radius is the smaller one?)

I have a few requests:

(1) Can you update the documentation to include...
(1.a) how the radius of the spindle is computed;
(1.b) the fact(?) that the bottom sphere is always placed at <0,0,0>

(2) Do you think you can extend the code to allow for more flexibility
in the shape, by letting us specify the distance between the two spheres
as well as the minor radius of the spindle?