POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ovus : Re: Ovus Server Time
28 Apr 2024 22:31:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ovus
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 4 May 2016 02:49:09
Message: <57299b65@news.povray.org>
Le 03/05/2016 00:37, clipka a écrit :
> Gerome, this one primarily goes out to you:
>
> I've just come across the documentation of the "ovus" primitive, and am
> a bit puzzled.
>
> The parameters of the top and bottom sphere are clear enough.
>
> However, what I don't understand is how the major and minor radii of the
> connecting spindle section are determined; theoretically we should have
> an infinite number of different spindles to choose from.

The minor radius of the spindle is twice the biggest radius of the
circles. (in code : ConnectingRadius).

The major radius of the spindle is implicit, as only the position of the
center of the circle of the torus is computed. (in 2D)

The choice of the minor radius (biggest circle x 2) is so that when the
smaller radius would disappear (aka be near 0), the remaining sphere and
the spindle would merge. (well, in fact, the visible part of the spindle
would also disappears, without discontinuity)