POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : image_map > solid object : Re: image_map > solid object Server Time
28 Apr 2024 12:30:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image_map > solid object
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 4 May 2016 01:54:25
Message: <57298e91$1@news.povray.org>
Le 03/05/2016 16:25, Paul a écrit :
> "Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> "Paul" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>>> I need a solid object, the 2 surfaces joined - the transparent yellow things > on
the right side.

>> Where do your images come from? If they were generated by a vector drawing
>> program you may be able to do it another way. Inkscape (https://inkscape.org/)
>> can export paths as POV-Ray prism objects, which would do exactly what you want.
>>
>> If you only have the images, it may still be possible to use Inkscape to trace
>> over the images, creating equivalent paths that could then be exported.
>>
>> Bill
>
> Images are coming from clients.
> No other formats are available, only PNG (if I'm lucky) or JPG.
> I don't think tracing will work, probably not that good definition of resulting
> objects.
> Well, looks like this is one tricky operation, thank you for all your help.

What you are trying to do is called "extrusion".

One additional solution to the ones already provided could be to convert
the picture into a ttf font, one glyph per colour and then use povray
text objects. (one text per colour).

There is a bit of utilities which can be useful in font-generation from
pictures, and search engines are more verbose on that subject ("create
font from picture")