POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lathe. Bezier_spline. Problem : Re: Lathe. Bezier_spline. Problem Server Time
18 May 2024 22:37:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lathe. Bezier_spline. Problem
From: clipka
Date: 3 May 2016 08:42:08
Message: <57289ca0@news.povray.org>
Am 03.05.2016 um 13:17 schrieb Bald Eagle:
>> Am 03.05.2016 um 02:34 schrieb Bald Eagle:
>>
>>> Oh, see - what I was thinking was that the WHOLE curve would be processed in
>>> context, which would not lead to your second scenario, but to:

>>> Which ought to give the same as your first scenario, no?
>>
>> That may be what you were thinking, but it's not what happens. It's
>> simply not how POV-Ray works internally.
>
> I guess I was speaking about the initial "spline" that then gives rise to the
> shape that is enclosed by its rotation about the axis.  If you first example
> were caught by the parser, corrected to the above, and THEN the rest of
> POV-Ray's internals were let loose on it....

That would imply what I described to William as solution variant (C):
The parser would first have to...

- solve the spline equation in 2D space for intersections with the axis;

- add any such intersection points into the spline to split it up into
more segments:

    A    B
  + |\  /|

- in case of quadratic, cubic or bezier splines, insert additional
control points in such a manner that the shape of the original curve
between the points is preserved.

Especially the last step is a non-trivial thing to do, and I guess it
may be easier to just fix the intersection computation to handle
"flipped" portions in the shape.