POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Irid vs SSLT redux (with less assumed gamma) : Re: Irid vs SSLT redux (with less assumed gamma) Server Time
6 May 2024 16:16:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Irid vs SSLT redux (with less assumed gamma)
From: Alain
Date: 2 May 2016 20:09:21
Message: <5727ec31@news.povray.org>

>> Am 02.05.2016 um 14:52 schrieb Simon J. Cambridge:
>>
>>> I also changed the lighting so that you can see SSLT occurring in one of the
>>> ears. It is probably manadatory to have SSLT occuring in at least one ear.
>>
>> Absolutely. For elves, that is. at least for elves. Orcs, not so much.
>> They usually wear it in their left ear though. Your hero is standing in
>> front of a mirror, right?
>>
>> As far as the shoulderwear is concerned: Well, what do you expect? Looks
>> to me like the thingumajigs receive light, with shadows from objects
>> further to the right that happen to almost coincide with the tips.
>> Nothing surprising to me there.

With a mesh, you sometimes see shadowing aretefacts where areas that
look as if they should be illuminated been actualy unlit. The reverse
may, albey more rarely, appen : Areas that "should" be unlit may actualy
receive light.

Try scalling your model up by 10, and reduce mm_per_unit to 4 to
compensate, and see what appen. It may be due to some floating point
rounding errors.

> Actually, the being depicted is not an Elf! (And in making such a rash and
> unwarranted assumption you have seriously dented your credibility in the process
> - you need to read my books to find out more.)*

Depending on the source, an Elf may be as short as about 2' or less, all
the way to about 12' tall.

> The 2.2 thing was an assumption on my part - me being lazy. I am just glad to
> find out where I have been going wrong all this time. I will also recalibrate
> for both mm_per_unit and translucency and see where I get, but I might still
> have to mess with the numbers as the being depicted is roughly ten feet tall.
> (You really need to read my books to find out more)**

Search a bit and you may find Elfes in the 10-12' range...