POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lathe. Bezier_spline. Problem : Re: Lathe. Bezier_spline. Problem Server Time
5 May 2024 06:28:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lathe. Bezier_spline. Problem
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 2 May 2016 13:47:41
Message: <572792bd@news.povray.org>
On 05/02/2016 11:02 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 02.05.2016 um 16:37 schrieb William F Pokorny:
>
>> Rambling I suspect too, both negative control and on curve points will
>> run - though us users might well be confused by any result if really true.
>>
>> If the developers want to allow this, I suppose deleting the current
>> check is the way to go instead.
>
> How about retaining your work, and simply issuing a warning instead of
> an error? (presuming the downstream code is ok with the values of
> course, otherwise an error is the right thing)

Yes, this looking like it might be an option.

>> In any case for the moment, let me test the cases below with all parser
>> checking off for the different curve types & I will report the results
>> here.
>
> You're more than welcome.

OK some test results from negative lathe spline values with the current
parse checking off. All splines used have 4 points.

The four rows, top to bottom, are linear, quadratic, cubic and bezier
splines respectively.

The columns 1-7 are:

0 - All X coordinates are positive.

1 - All X coordinates are negative.

2 - All X coordinates are 0.

3 - First point's X coordinate is negative.

4 - Second point's X coordinate is negative.

5 - First and second point's X coordinates negative.

6 - Second and third point's X coordinates negative.

7 - Third and fourth point's X coordinates negative.

I think I covered all the cases somewhat, but if not let me know.

To my eyes we get what one might expect(1) with negative coordinates, so
running with better warnings or no checking at all of the points in the
spline is probably OK.

Bill P.

(1)- except perhaps that quadratic is a bit noisy, but probably it is
not much used.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'orthographic.jpg' (85 KB) Download 'perspective.jpg' (80 KB)

Preview of image 'orthographic.jpg'
orthographic.jpg

Preview of image 'perspective.jpg'
perspective.jpg