POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Irid vs SubSurface : Re: Irid vs SubSurface Server Time
18 May 2024 09:02:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Irid vs SubSurface
From: clipka
Date: 1 May 2016 13:33:54
Message: <57263e02$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.05.2016 um 12:52 schrieb Simon J. Cambridge:

> the situation is vastly improved if you go assumed_gamma 1.0. You also get a
> speed improvement. I had left gamma at 2.2 (my default - when ever I create a
> new scene I cut and paste the environment - a possibly very bad habit). I hadn't
> any idea gamma would make such a drastic difference. Ignorance, in this case, is
> not bliss.

It's not a bad habit at all to have some standard scene to start from.
Note that in the Windows version you can modify the "Insert" menu to
simplify this process even more.

It _is_ a bad! bad! bad! habit to use gamma 2.2 ;)

(mandatory viewing: <https://youtu.be/ayriQHgsPCc>)

> Oh, and my comment on using a colour component for Irid was meant in terms of
> overriding the wavelength set in global settings for individual textures. It was
> just a thought.

Ah - that makes more sense.
Then again -- well, no, actually it doesn't ;)