POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Irid vs SubSurface : Re: Irid vs SubSurface Server Time
18 May 2024 06:09:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Irid vs SubSurface
From: Alain
Date: 1 May 2016 13:11:50
Message: <572638d6@news.povray.org>

>> Am 30.04.2016 um 18:20 schrieb Simon J. Cambridge:
>>
>>> I have tried with SSLT, I really have, but it never seems to give me what I am
>>> after, which was why I went physically nonsensical. Skin ends up looking like
>>> wax, or artifacts get generated (on meshes - light patches on vertexes).
>>
>> I know the artifacts you are referring to, and haven't found the time
>> and ideas to battle them yet; they should diminish if you subdivide your
>> mesh more rigorously though.
>>
>> If you get a waxy look, you're overdoing it.
>>
>> Also, in real life the SSLT effect is different for different portions
>> of the body; however, currently POV-Ray does no yet provide any means to
>> simulate this, except for averaging an SSLT- and a non-SSLT texture (or
>> multiple SSLT textures with different settings), which does not do full
>> justice to the real effect.
>
> Just to say thank you for your advice. I went back, bit the bullet, threw
> everything out the window and ... found three things.
>
> The artifacts do indeed get better if you subdivide, but, and it is a big but,
> the situation is vastly improved if you go assumed_gamma 1.0. You also get a
> speed improvement. I had left gamma at 2.2 (my default - when ever I create a
> new scene I cut and paste the environment - a possibly very bad habit). I hadn't
> any idea gamma would make such a drastic difference. Ignorance, in this case, is
> not bliss.
>
> Oh, and my comment on using a colour component for Irid was meant in terms of
> overriding the wavelength set in global settings for individual textures. It was
> just a thought.

You should change that assumed_gamma to 1 in your empty source code.
All features are geared to a linear colour space, meaning they expect an
assumed_gamma 1. Forcing another value can introduce abnomalies.

Unless you changed it somewhere, the display gamma should default to
sRGB. You may also set the file gamma in pvengine.ini or povray.ini, but
you don't need to.