POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Python, subprocess, error! : Re: Python, subprocess, error! Server Time
4 May 2024 11:05:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Python, subprocess, error!
From: clipka
Date: 28 Apr 2016 12:36:18
Message: <57223c02$1@news.povray.org>
Am 28.04.2016 um 17:16 schrieb Mr:

> What would you advice I do to adapt the current code?  How should we provide a
> cross platform path in our pov files? have them use unix path all allong? so
> reverse all the windows paths slashes or use unix paths everywhere?

For maximum portability, place all files relevant for a scene inside the
very SAME DIRECTORY, and only refer to them by their base filename and
extension.

If you do have compelling reason to spread a scene across multiple
directories, use only RELATIVE PATH NAMES with FORWARD SLASHES as path
separators. The forward slash is the one and only character that is
recognized as a path separator by each and every contemporary official,
semi-official or unofficial version, port or fork of POV-Ray I'm
currently aware of. (*)

Also, when automatically generating scene files and subsequently
invoking POV-Ray to render them, if the scene makes use of library-ish
include files stored someplace else, consider referring to them by their
base filename nonetheless, and instead telling the POV-Ray executable
where to find them by using the +L command-line option. This way you can
keep absolute path names (and usually even relative path names) out of
the scene-specific .ini and .pov files entirely.

(* There's another reason to avoid backslashes as path separators in
POV-Ray scenes or INI files, even if you know your scene will be
rendered by POV-Ray for Windows: The backslash carries special meaning
in string literals as an escape character. Worse yet, versions even as
recent as 3.7.0 included some undocumented inconsistencies in their
backslash handling.)