POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : concentric blobs clouds : Re: concentric blobs clouds Server Time
27 Jun 2024 14:06:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: concentric blobs clouds
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 28 Apr 2016 08:32:18
Message: <572202d2$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/28/2016 07:04 AM, Bill Pragnell wrote:
> Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:

>>> Awesome. I look forward to this time next year when the full size
>>> version finishes rendering!
>>
>>     Thanks, but it's not that slow... that test took just 29 min, and the
>> one attached here, using +a, took 1h45m using only 4 out of 6 cores. I
>> guess the full render at 1600x900 will take about 4 hours with 6 cores.
>> The idea of using a blob as container, instead a box or sphere, works
>> pretty well... it's just a shame it generates some artifacts. :(
>
> I guess the blob containers makes for fewer media calculations - that's a decent
> time for such a render.
>
> What causes the artifacts, is it something about the way blobs are implemented?
> How about using a merge of the blob component spheres instead?

Answering without going back to refresh my old brain cells...

When Gail Shaw hit this issue back in 2005. At that time Slime wrote:

-------
This is probably just a problem with the accuracy of the blob solver; I
think it's not noticing the second (backside) surface near the edges, so
it thinks there's a long distance of media and makes it very bright as a
result. (In 3.5 this may have been diminished by anti-aliasing.)

A suggestion: Use a small box as your media container instead of a blob,
and then use a density{} in the media with the object pattern with the
blob, so that all points outside of the blob have no media.

- Slime
-------

In my digging I've found blob surfaces are actually a bit noisy
especially as the rays hit the surface in a more tangential way - so I
think Slime's thinking as to the cause is probably right.

Things that tend to help:

1) Try running with sturm off.

2) Lower the blob threshold - start extreme with 0.0001 say - though you
may of course lose the blob effect you want, but perhaps in the case of
these clouds this would be OK?

3) The code change I have been working to verify against blob problem
cases from years past tends to help a little with bright artifacts -
more with dark artifacts. Specifically the change in blob.cpp is changing:

const DBL DEPTH_TOLERANCE = 1.0e-2;

to:

const DBL DEPTH_TOLERANCE = 1.0e-4;

4) AA sometimes helps - and sometimes not - depending on how tangential
the super samples themselves are I guess.

5) What the other Bill P suggested should help too - if the merge
eliminates internal blob surfaces causing the artifacts.

Hope one or more things here enough to get this cloud method working
generally.

Bill P.