POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cheap dual Xeon E5 2670 for rendering : Re: Cheap dual Xeon E5 2670 for rendering Server Time
28 Apr 2024 21:31:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cheap dual Xeon E5 2670 for rendering
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 25 Apr 2016 08:56:21
Message: <571e13f5$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/21/2016 01:08 PM, jhu wrote:
> So, apparently these things are being decomissioned by Facebook and others, so
> these CPUs are really cheap on eBay right. I just bought a pair for about $130.
> Kind of crazy for a CPU that used to cost >$1500 each. Have motherboard, case,
> RAM, and power supply coming in the mail. 16 cores/32 threads of goodness. I'll
> post up benchmarks when I get this thing up and running.

I'm interested in details on the motherboard you are using & if using
linux or windows as your OS.

I've seen some of these pulled xeons popping up too and I've thought
about upgrading my old render box with one over my 920 4 core. With a
bios update, my MB looks like it would work with one.

The same computer has been down for while with a bad power supply. I've
been holding off fixing it partly due life changes/tighter budget - but
perhaps more because I really want to stretch for exactly the set up you
are trying!

Bill P.