POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request for Syntax Suggestions : Re: Request for Syntax Suggestions Server Time
7 May 2024 19:54:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request for Syntax Suggestions
From: clipka
Date: 23 Apr 2016 09:39:42
Message: <571b7b1e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.04.2016 um 15:12 schrieb Christian Froeschlin:
> On 23.04.2016 8:19, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>
>> Could you move the bounded_by in the initial declare ?
>
> This would seem more logical to me too. I don't even think
> a new keyword is needed since the presence of the bounded_by
> block is obvious to the parser. So having a bounding object
> becomes an attribute that any function object may have (and
> which might later be exploited in other context too).

It would also be my own preference, if it wasn't for the technical
problems I'd expect with this approach.

> However as far as I understand it the problem technically
> would be in the need to analyze the compound function expression
> to determine that it is indeed just a sum of functions with
> attached bounding object.

That's one of the problems.
The other is that I would need to attach the bounding information to the
function object in the first place.

You see, the whole function thing in POV-Ray is (at least to me) a black
box of equally black magic. The less I need to intrude there, the better.

(Of course that doesn't need to limit your brainstorming. Maybe the
issues happen to be less of an obstacle than I currently expect.)