POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Experimental alternative diffuse models : Re: Experimental alternative diffuse models Server Time
29 Apr 2024 12:50:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Experimental alternative diffuse models
From: clipka
Date: 12 Apr 2016 14:59:52
Message: <570d45a8@news.povray.org>
Am 12.04.2016 um 10:06 schrieb Thomas de Groot:

> I have been wondering: How to see the relationship between UberPOV and
> version 3.7.1-alpha, in the context of these diffuse models? The albedo
> and brilliance terms originally in UberPOV are also available in alpha.

UberPOV has been a collection of features that I expect (or expected) to
not be fitting into the philosophy of POV-Ray proper. Some may make it
into official POV-Ray, others may not. (Just the same as with good old
MegaPOV.)

As far as the new features are concerned, I have not much doubt that
they match the spirit of official POV-Ray; the only reason they're not
in the main branch yet is that they come with a high risk of undergoing
some breaking changes before reaching their final shape.

Another difference is that UberPOV is a /collection/ of experimental
features, while the two new features each live in their own happy little
branch, so...

> Another thing: the alternative diffuse models seem not to be available
> any more in the tonemapping alpha version. I get an error message saying
> undeclared identifier 'oren_nayar'

... that's not too much of a surprise to me ;)