POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Inversion : Re: Inversion Server Time
6 May 2024 09:38:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inversion
From: clipka
Date: 8 Apr 2016 20:08:31
Message: <570847ff$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.04.2016 um 01:03 schrieb Bald Eagle:

>> Anyone want to take a guess?
>
> Um, it looks like some sort of film exposure feature, with solarization
> occurring at the bright spot on the sphere.
>
> It's been WAY too long since I've dabbled with real photography and played with
> film gamma, artistic effects, and alternative photographic processes...
>
> Hot or cold?  :)

Burnt your skin on a tip of the feature, but caught frostbite on the
specifics of the sample image. And you didn't get hold of everything yet.

Fact is, the image is an exact negative of one of the insert menu samples.

But I think you got close enough: It is indeed a generic tonemapping
feature.

The predecessor is, of course, Christoph Hormann's tonemapping
implementation in MegaPOV.

What this new incarnation will lack is the post-aliasing part of the
feature. All tonemapping will be done before aliasing, for various reasons.

What this new incarnation will add is the ability to apply different
tonemapping functions to each colour channel, perform cross-channel
colour maths, and as an extra bonus even use functions that depend on
the screen location.

(As for the post-aliasing part, that will be covered by a generic
post-processing feature /some/ day in the future.)