POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ocean : Re: Ocean Server Time
28 Jun 2024 03:05:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ocean
From: Stephen
Date: 5 Apr 2016 04:54:06
Message: <57037d2e$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/4/2016 10:42 PM, Alain wrote:
>> Will the illusion work with computer graphics using planer images?
>> What sort of masking is needed for the images and what frame rate to
>> use? These questions I will need to find an answer to.
>> I think that this might distract me from Elite Dangerous, for a while.
>> :-)
>>

> The inner, rotating, cylinder have transparent and diffuse areas.
> The transparent areas can be coloured, as can the diffuse areas.
> The light used is usualy a standard light bulb. If the distance between
> the inner and outer cylinders is small, a frosted bulb is used, and a
> clear one if the distance is large. This is to provide softer shading.

Thanks for the reply, Alain. What you've said makes perfect sense.

> It can easily be done with a computer using planar image in several ways.
> You can have the shading image with no_image set between the light and
> the image.
> You can use back side illumination that replicate the actual device.
> You can use a blurred image that is to be layered with the base image.
> There are probably other ways to acheive the same effect.

Interesting techniques. I used a mask made from the shape of the sea to
restrict the area that had movement. Some areas of the sea looks fine
but others look wrong. So I started to make additional masks but my
image editing s/ware is so old (Paintshop Pro 7) it is too tedious to
continue.
I am happy to know it can be done, though.

--

Regards
     Stephen