POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Surface pt. III : Re: The Surface pt. III Server Time
4 May 2024 12:49:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Surface pt. III
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 31 Mar 2016 03:18:29
Message: <56fccf45$1@news.povray.org>
On 31-3-2016 4:37, BayashiPascal wrote:
> But is it water ? Given the strangeness of the whole scene (the sky, the horizon
> curvature, the colors) I like it as it is, it matches the whole atmosphere. It
> maybe some kind of frozen hydrocarbon under low pressure and gravity
> conditions... ;-)
> It reminds me this superb book of pictures from Mars :
> http://www.sebastiengirard.com/index.php?post%2F2015%2F06%2F29%2Fmars
> Some pictures looks so unreal while they are so real !!

True, but you have to realise that, whatever the planetary setting, the
physical boundary conditions under which structures are created are the
same. So, dunes on Mars are similar to dunes on Earth. Similarly, that
is why it is possible to infer the wet condition of Mars in the past
just by studying the fossilised structures outcropping near Curiosity.

Now, to come back to Pekka Aho's unnamed world, the liquid (?) surface
looks strange either for a liquid as for a frozen one. If they are
ripples, we can infer there is some kind of atmosphere and hence some
wind. There is much to discover still! See? we are already building
assumptions on the few data we have. We have to wait for the next batch
of photographs to learn more :-)

--
Thomas