POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering two sheets of paper : Re: Rendering two sheets of paper Server Time
2 May 2024 13:37:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering two sheets of paper
From: Alain
Date: 21 Mar 2016 18:45:20
Message: <56f07980@news.povray.org>

> "bocovp" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>
>> I want to get this tiny shadow which is formed by the topmost sheet on the
>> bottom one.
>> Since the distance between the sheets is VERY small, I cannot just place two
>> meshes with different z-coordinates.

Just add a very small Y offset to the top sheets.
Something like 0.001*y is probably enough.

> "Can't" ??
> I would guess that given what POV-Ray is capable of, that you just need enough
> separation and the proper camera angle to be able to see the shadow.
>

> You could add a fake "shadow layer" which is just another "piece of paper" lying
> directly on top of the lower sheet.
> texture {pigment {rgbt <0, 0, 0, 0.4>}}
>
> Maybe there's something you can do with bicubic_patches and texture /
> interior_texture.

Can also be done with mesh provided that you add an inside_vector whitch
can point straight up in this case.

> I think you can define "negative light sources" and negative pigment values -
> maybe you could investigate that.

Both lights, pigments, diffuse, ambient, emission, phong, specular and
reflection can have negative values.