POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering two sheets of paper : Re: Rendering two sheets of paper Server Time
2 May 2024 11:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering two sheets of paper
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 21 Mar 2016 08:57:28
Message: <56efefb8$1@news.povray.org>

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Z_xcZG_0OpM/T6QQOa_85RI/AAAAAAAAY2Y/SfjXLhylBc8/s1600/IMG_5882.JPG

https://t2.ftcdn.net/jpg/00/67/30/75/240_F_67307554_13kmP5SBUF36d3HrbcR6O0swgZcv3Hhu.jpg

>>> I want to get this tiny shadow which is formed by the topmost sheet on the
>>> bottom one.
>>> Since the distance between the sheets is VERY small, I cannot just place two
>>> meshes with different z-coordinates.
>>>
>>> I thought of using some multilayered texture:
>>> 1. bottom sheet
>>> 2. some shadow layer (???)
>>> 3. top sheet
>>>

>> It seems to me that placing two meshes, slightly offset vertically, is
>> the best method and not difficult to build. A challenge would be if the
>> sheets were wrinkled but I guess that is not your intention. The layered
>> texture approach does not seem to me a very good solution. Personally, I
>> always used the first approach in the past.
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
>
> I will need to render dozens of such papers stacked on top of each other.
> Besides, I am going to render a video file where the scene is rotating.
> So, I believe, even small offset being multiplied by, say, 20 will look no so
> good at some particular camera positions.

Assuming you use flat meshes, stacking is trivial using a #while or a
#for loop with a very small vertical increment and a slight random
rotation around the vertical axis. Very basic, and I guess that,
whatever camera position, the scene will look good video or not.

--
Thomas