POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : printing object's identifier : Re: printing object's identifier Server Time
5 May 2024 07:43:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: printing object's identifier
From: jr
Date: 18 Mar 2016 14:01:18
Message: <56ec426e$1@news.povray.org>
hi,

On 17/03/2016 14:27, Bald Eagle wrote:
>> thank you for showing the correct use.  fwiw I did grep for this macro
>> in all 3.7.0 (scene) files, it does not appear used anywhere.
>>

> Given just HOW MUCH stuff POV-Ray has jammed into it, that's not entirely
> surprising.   Documenting features takes a lot more time and care (for me) than
> coding a scene.
>
> Perhaps if you could write up a small, commented SDL file that illustrates and
> demonstrates this particular feature, then it would be available to anyone in
> the future searching the newsgroups and wanting to know how to go about using
> it.

man, talk about bein' put on the spot.  ;-)

I don't mind doing the 'legwork' (though, as a beginner, just how useful
such a sample scene would be is questionable), but have to confess that
I can not think of /any/ realistic use case for Parse_String(); lack of
use case may well be a contributing factor to the macro not being used
in the sample scenes.

I will put a simple, contrived scene file together, give me a few days
please, I'm in the middle of my own stuff right now.

> "Many hands make light work", and all that   :)

agree.

a fanciful thought on the subject: given the recent revolution in
self-publishing, perhaps, between the povray news group users, a wiki
could be nurtured to the point of producing/selling a print-on-demand
book on using/programming POV?  (I know I'd buy :-))

jr.