POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Furry meshes with hgpovray : Re: Furry meshes with hgpovray Server Time
3 May 2024 03:45:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Furry meshes with hgpovray
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 18 Mar 2016 05:57:34
Message: <56ebd10e@news.povray.org>
El 18/03/16 a las 08:55, Thomas de Groot escribió:
> I never got to tracing threads on something like this and suspected
> that there would be problems with the folds. Your hgpovray methods
> seems to really work well indeed. It forms an excellent
> proof-of-concept for regular development on POV-Ray's main branch one
> day :-)

   Yes, it would be fantastic to have these mesh data functions
integrated into official POV-Ray. I can't see these features breaking
anything else, but I'm not an expert, of course. The icing on the cake
would be, as I said, a function to get the uv coordinates at a given
vertex (this one alone would overcome the problem with eval_pigment()
and uv_mapped pigments).

   Here is a new test, with another towel, but this time folded and
resting over a surface (again the model is from archive3d.net, but the
uv mapping on this one was messed up, so I didn't use it). Still needs a
bit more threads per triangle, but it's already made of 897940 threads
(20 per triangle). It takes 7 minutes to parse, mainly due to my ugly
method to find 20 random points over the surface of the triangle.

--
jaime

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'folded-towel-01-p7m5s-r48m5s.jpg' (269 KB)

Preview of image 'folded-towel-01-p7m5s-r48m5s.jpg'
folded-towel-01-p7m5s-r48m5s.jpg