POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Furry meshes with hgpovray : Re: Furry meshes with hgpovray Server Time
3 May 2024 02:59:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Furry meshes with hgpovray
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 17 Mar 2016 16:03:03
Message: <56eb0d77@news.povray.org>
No teddy bear yet... but I tried with a towel model from archive3d
(tried to model one with Megapov simcloth, but didn't get anything decent).

   I figured a better method than tracing the threads: instead, I just
loop over all the triangles, then for each triangle I place 20 hairs at
randoms points on the triangle surface. I searched on the internet for
methods to do this, but as I didn't understand any of them due to my
poor knowledge of formal math notation, I ended up doing my own thing to
find random points on a triangle surface... it's ugly, slow and surely
inefficient, but works fine visually.

   Then there was The Last Problem... I wanted to texture the threads so
that they follow the uv_mapped texture on the mesh, but eval_pigment
will not work on this scenario. At that moment I realized the mesh data
extraction functions on hgpovray are missing one function: something
like get_uv_coordinates().

   But squeezing a bit more my poor brain I figured a workaround: copy
and paste the uv_vertex info from the mesh include file into a separate
file, formatted as an array, and then use that with eval_pigment and a
flat version of the image_map. Fortunately, the uv_vertex and
uv_vertices are correlative, so it works fine. But it would be much
better (and faster) to have an hgpovray function for it.

   Regards,

--
jaime

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'hanging-towel-04-p4m21s-r12m48s.jpg' (185 KB)

Preview of image 'hanging-towel-04-p4m21s-r12m48s.jpg'
hanging-towel-04-p4m21s-r12m48s.jpg