POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Vibrating Plate WIP : Re: Vibrating Plate WIP Server Time
28 Apr 2024 15:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vibrating Plate WIP
From: Stephen
Date: 8 Mar 2016 06:17:14
Message: <56deb4ba$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/8/2016 12:28 AM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>
>>> Still need to think on how to "raise" the y-axis level of each vibrational
>>> source to better model it,
>>
>> Am I missing something here?
>> I has a similar problem as the Modeller I use (Bishop3D this time not
>> blender) only uses 3 decimal places. So I multiplied the data by a
>> thousand and reduced the scale of the plane appropriately.
>
> I mean in the isosurface formula.  When I plot out all the data in Excel, I see
> that the mean y-values for all the different points vary.   I'm not sure how to
> include the height differences of the points in my function.
>
>>> and then how to offset the phase according to the
>>> frame_number.
>>>

>> You have lost me there.
>
> The isosurface is at present static.  I want to change the phase of my cosine
> waves in the function, based on frame_number.   That way the waves ripple
> outwards from the data points.

It slipped my mind that you were using isosurfaces at this point.
Would it not be something like:
Cos(Θ + 2*pi * {[final_frame - initial_frame]/ frame_number})

>>> Not sure how the real vibrational data ought to be propagated into the plate
>>> aside from that - maybe run it through a fast Fourier transform and somehow
>>> alter the changes in frequency and amplitude based on that....
>>>

>> Can you trust the data enough to extrapolate?
>
> I haven't really thought it that far out.

It was the first thing I did. :-)

> This is, after all, a problem posed by the OP.   It just caught my interest.

It caught mine too.

> OK - back to interpolating the control points for my 3x3 bicubic patch model.
> 16 data points, 128 interpolated control points, 144 control points altogether.
>   :D

Good luck. :-)
IIRC Moray had a way of joining bicubic patchs.
I just downloaded Moray and had a look. The joining control points are
all calculated internally and the patches are bound in a union. It looks
like Lutz just used a simple function, possibly the average of the
points on either side.

--

Regards
     Stephen