POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crystals Cave : Re: Crystals Cave Server Time
28 Jun 2024 21:10:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crystals Cave
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 1 Mar 2016 04:47:50
Message: <56d56546$1@news.povray.org>

 > I like the color of the moss. I love the crystals.  But this line of
 >  shrooms bugs me.  While my eye is looking at the centerpiece
 > crystal, my brain is tugging me to the two shrooms with the same
 > s-shaped stem. Which then makes me aware that there is a line of
 > shrooms. I almost mentioned in the last version that I would change
 > one of those two stems.  And it might not even be as noticeable this
 > version because the foreground s-stem is in shadow.  But I can't
 > unsee it to tell.

   The similar stems are just a coincidence, because every mushroom has a
randomly generated sphereweep for the stem, and them they are randomly
rotated around y. Indeed the spheresweep has only 4 points, so it's not
that difficult to end up with similar stems.

   The mushrooms line however is not casual, but a flaw on my
thinking... I used a pigment function to place the mushrooms in clumps,
and I badly chose "leopard" without realizing it is too regular.

 > I'm not a big fan of the focal blur.  It looks fine on the background
 >  shrooms top-left, but it looks cheesy on the front left clump of
 > shrooms.

   Well, I used only 42 samples, so it's a bit grainy, yes...

---
jaime