POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POV-Ray is so cumbersome... : Re: POV-Ray is so cumbersome... Server Time
14 May 2024 17:27:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray is so cumbersome...
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 1 Mar 2016 03:40:14
Message: <56d5556e$1@news.povray.org>
El 01/03/16 a las 04:38, Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann escribió:
> And then I see all your sophisticated projects (Gancaloon and many
> others) and I wonder how you get all that work done, beside your
> proper occupations, partners, family, other hobbies... as an early
> retiree, I have so much more free time available - and still hardly
> get anything done! Could it be that I simply do not have the talent
> required for doing 3D graphics? Or could it be that POV-Ray simply is
> not a software which supports an efficient workflow (are there any
> professional 3D designers using POV-Ray? I doubt...)?

   I'm tempted to reply "it's not you, it's POV-Ray", but to be frank, it
may be a mix of both things.

   POV-Ray IS cumbersome, no doubt. No sane mind will use it for big
modeling projects (but we Povers are not sane minds, after all). But it
might be the case that your mind is not predisposed to "think in 3D",
and it that case, POV-Ray is definitely not the best choice for
modeling. Maybe a visual modeling tool will be better in your case.

   BTW, I'm sitting on the opposite side: visual modeling tools are not
my thing, and I find them waaay too much more cumbersome than POV-Ray.
Some of the things I model with POV-Ray will take me ages using any
other 3D software.

--
jaime