POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POV-Ray is so cumbersome... : POV-Ray is so cumbersome... Server Time
14 May 2024 05:40:10 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray is so cumbersome...
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 29 Feb 2016 21:38:42
Message: <56d500b2@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On New Year's Day, I decided for the first time to seriously start with
a landmark building complex for Kabul, POVghanistan: the Soviet-built
airport, as it looked like around 1970. So I googled for photos showing
the airport back then, and found a close-up of the domestic flights
control tower:
http://footage.framepool.com/shotimg/qf/296679019-kabul-international-airport-hand-luggage-tower-airport-kabul-city.jpg

Another one from 1969, showing the whole building as seen from the
airfield: http://www.airports-worldwide.com/img/w/kabul_airport_in_1969.jpg

And attached here is with what I came up after two months... pathetic,
isn't it?

And then I see all your sophisticated projects (Gancaloon and many
others) and I wonder how you get all that work done, beside your proper
occupations, partners, family, other hobbies... as an early retiree, I
have so much more free time available - and still hardly get anything
done! Could it be that I simply do not have the talent required for
doing 3D graphics? Or could it be that POV-Ray simply is not a software
which supports an efficient workflow (are there any professional 3D
designers using POV-Ray? I doubt...)?

Given the current speed of progress, this modest airport tower will
occupy me for the entire year 2016 - not to mention the terrain
heightfield, which will be completed around 2030, having started in 2004
(unless there will be satellite elevation data of the same resolution
readily available!). So I'll spend a vast portion of my life to cobble
together a crude version of POVghanistan/Khyberspace, without ever being
able to visit REAL Afghanistan (originally, Khyberspace was meant as a
substitution for the unreachable real thing) and obviously lacking the
basic skills necessary for POVing, let along using any other
modeler/raytracer... Khyberspace probably will never be much more than
Kabul International Airport... I just waste my life!

It's so frustrating... all these things are so huge, and I'm so small!

See you in... forget it!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '2016-03-01 kabul airport tower, take 101.jpg' (86 KB) Download '2016-03-01 kabul airport tower, take 102.jpg' (64 KB)

Preview of image '2016-03-01 kabul airport tower, take 101.jpg'
2016-03-01 kabul airport tower, take 101.jpg

Preview of image '2016-03-01 kabul airport tower, take 102.jpg'
2016-03-01 kabul airport tower, take 102.jpg