POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Render message : Re: Render message Server Time
18 Apr 2024 20:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render message
From: ThH
Date: 29 Feb 2016 13:21:50
Message: <56d48c3e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 29.02.2016 um 19:05 schrieb Thorsten Froehlich:

> It is easy to fix if you print spaces over a line up to the whole length minus
> one. After all the problem is not that POV prints the wrong data, but rather
> that shells act like terminals up to this day, and thus store ever character
> where it used to be. And the POV Unix frontend just prints all progress messages
> in one line.
>
> To do get the line width cleanly in Unix, you need to use Posix calls, but even
> then it is not trivial because as far as Google search results show on the first
> few pages, this does not always seem to work properly even in Linux.
>
> The alternative would be to add a linefeed for every change of progress
> reporting. This might require keeping a proper state of the progress kind in the
> frontend, but all information to do so should be passed to the frontend already.
>
> Thorsten

Thank you Thorsten.

The "hack" worked in the old days though.

Lucky me I'm only using POV-Ray's SDL today ;)

> PS: The kludge would be to print about 10 spaces following any progress message.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kludge

A kludge ... is a workaround or quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy,
inelegant, inefficient, difficult to extend and hard to maintain ...

(Ducks) It really worked in the old days ;))