POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cave concept : Re: Cave concept Server Time
15 May 2024 09:35:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cave concept
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 29 Feb 2016 07:22:39
Message: <56d4380f$1@news.povray.org>
On 29-2-2016 12:19, Paolo Gibellini wrote:
> Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote on 29/02/2016 11.44:
>> Hi:
>>
>>      Here is a new scene on the making... a cave with stalactites and
>> stalagmites. The rough shape is a mesh created with Wings3d, then I
>> added a heighfield for the ground, and thrown some isosurface rocks
>> using trace(). Finally, also using trace(), I added some stalactites and
>> stalactites, which are cone-shaped isosurfaces. The water is currently a
>> simple plane, but should evolve into a heighfield. And yes, there will
>> be crystals there at some point, but for the moment I'm just looking for
>> comments/suggestions about the cave itself.
>>
>> --
>> jaime
>>

> The scene is beautiful as usual, but in my opinion the textures are a
> bit too dark (usually the limestone is more pale) and perhaps need to be
> a bit reflective near stalactites and stalagmites in order to give a
> sense of humidity.
> ;-)
> Paolo

I agree with Paolo. Here there seems to be a lot of iron in the water ;-)

I happened to read/watch about the Frasassi Caves in Le Marche in Italy
a couple of days ago. There are those beautiful lace-like stalactite
structures which I would like to see. Also, of course, a bit of
translucency.

--
Thomas