POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : alternate diffraction / transmittance : Re: alternate diffraction / transmittance Server Time
28 Apr 2024 16:55:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: alternate diffraction / transmittance
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 29 Feb 2016 03:24:06
Message: <56d40026$1@news.povray.org>
On 29-2-2016 5:56, clipka wrote:
> Am 29.02.2016 um 02:33 schrieb Bald Eagle:
>> 3.  Has anyone to date modeled this with POV-Ray, perhaps with an animation?

[...]

> - Angle-dependent specular reflection: If the object is supposed to be
> made of metal, use "metallic" in both the reflection block and in the
> finish block itself. If the object is supposed to be made of anything
> else, specify an interior and ior, use "fresnel" in the reflection
> block, and if you use POV-Ray 3.7.1 also use "fresnel" in the finish
> block itself.
>
> - Angle-dependent diffuse reflection: Yes, this exists, and it behaves
> just the opposite of the specular reflection. Think of it as specular
> reflection "stealing" light from the diffuse reflection. To model this,
> you need to use either an angle-of-incidence ("aoi") patterned texture,
> or POV-Ray 3.7.1 and "fresnel" in the finish block itself.

This is the principle of 'damask' metal or cloth. For the latter, I have
used one image_map (p_map17: texture of the cloth) and another one
(p_map18: black/white copy), and the following code (directly taken from
a Poser/Poseray model):

#declare Damask_Red_1_=
#declare F1=finish{specular 0.2431373
                    roughness 0.00286312
                    phong 0 phong_size 0
                    diffuse 0.6
                    reflection{0 } conserve_energy
                    }
#declare F2=finish{specular 0
                    roughness 0.00286312
                    phong 0 phong_size 0
                    ambient rgb <0.00,0.00,0.00>
                    diffuse 0.6
                    reflection{0 } conserve_energy
                    }
material{
          texture{uv_mapping
                  pigment_pattern{p_map18 }
                  texture_map{
                      [0
                         pigment{p_map17 }
                         finish{F2}
                      ]
                      [1
                         pigment{p_map17 }
                         finish{F1}
                      ]
                      }}
}

The same can be done I guess to simulate Damascene swords of course.

--
Thomas