POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Sven’s Bug : Re:_Sven’s_Bug Server Time
29 Apr 2024 09:34:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re:_Sven’s_Bug
From: Alain
Date: 20 Feb 2016 14:49:00
Message: <56c8c32c@news.povray.org>
Le 16-02-18 14:29, Stephen a écrit :
> I’ve named this Sven’s Bug because I noticed it running his code posted
> in “15 Shapes Taking Forever” in povray.general
> And so he gets his name on something. :-P
>
> There is a difference between renders with and without using Render
> Block Size.
> The images are with the windows QUICKRES.INI [800x600, AA 0.3] with and
> without +BS8
> I compared them in PaintShop Pro (XOR shows it best)
>
> Ver 3.7.0.msvc10.win64
> On Win7

After Clipka's answer to my comment, I'd recomend using antialiasing
method 2, +am2, to reduce or elliminate those artefacts.

With method 1, the already rendered pixels on the top and left may, or
may not, already be supersampled compared to the retraced ones from the
current block.

With method 2, that start with the NON supersampled corners, you always
start with fresh samples that are in a known, consistant, state. It
don't mather if the current pixel is at the edge of the block or not,
all pixels are treated the same with original data obtained the same way.

If using method 3, you are possibly in a similar situation as with
method 2. Given the inherent random noise associated with method 3, it
may not mather at all.

Alain