POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Growing crystals test : Growing crystals test Server Time
15 May 2024 02:56:27 EDT (-0400)
  Growing crystals test
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 17 Feb 2016 07:18:44
Message: <56c46524@news.povray.org>
The world of POV-Ray crystallography is on fire this week... after the
discovery of Thomasite, now it's the turn of Vivesite. ;)

The crystals are procedurally generated using triangle meshes from the
scratch. A height_field was used to trace the 4 base points, and then
the crystal was grown following the normal at the center point. No area
light nor radiosity this time... but I used photons+dispersion and a
strong focal blur. Render time was a under 2 hours using an AMD FM-6300
(x6).

As the test seems to have given acceptable results, I'm going to use now
an isosurface as the base, and try to use hexagonal crystals... if I can
work it out: working out the maths for a cube basal I already fried one
or two neurons...

--
jaime

Post a reply to this message