POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Cave mouth entrance : Re: Cave mouth entrance Server Time
3 May 2024 21:31:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cave mouth entrance
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 13 Feb 2016 22:12:00
Message: <56bff080$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/13/2016 12:56 AM, Kenneth wrote:
> dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
>> On 2/12/2016 11:10 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>>>
>>> I want to create something like the first row of pictures here:...
>>>

>> I did a tunnel with a heightfield and a bore difference.
>
> For the organic-looking cave itself, I would use the HF_Cylinder macro in
> "shapes.inc". (See my recent post in Sven's  "CLipka: Possible BUG Found!!!"
> entry for an example of how to use that macro.) Then maybe another 'regular
> heightfield for the face of the cave (standing vertically.) Joining that
> combination to the ground-- so that it all looks like 'one thing'-- may not be
> so easy; maybe by submerging the HF cylinder into the ground a little (which
> would be yet another heightfield), along with some extra rocks around the
> join-line to 'hide' it.

I doubt a heightfield will do the job. Plus there's the matter of
creating the heightfield itself. Maybe a stack of isosurface objects
made to look like boulders or strata of rock?

> Or you could model the entire cave in a separate mesh modeler and import it into
> POV-Ray ;-)  I still use a *really* old and simple app called sPatch for
> building things like that.

This is really the best solution I can think of. Unfortunately I am not
much of an artist unless the scene I'm modeling is mostly geometric.

Mike