POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Colony Ship : Re: The Colony Ship Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:29:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Colony Ship
From: clipka
Date: 12 Feb 2016 16:11:26
Message: <56be4a7e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 12.02.2016 um 21:07 schrieb Sven Littkowski:
> Couldn't it be possible to implement then a stochastic mode to POV-Ray,
> so it can do the same things? But I admit, I am not sure what stochastic
> means, will try to find out when I have a bit time. I just want to see
> our great POV-Ray pushed to its limits (as some of its programmers)... :-D

Stochastic means using a lot of randomness, resulting in grainy noise
instead of other (sometimes less obvious) types of artifacts. Goes
pretty much against POV-Ray's philosophy of trying to get reproducible
non-grainy results, but is the weapon of choice in UberPOV (and as a
matter of fact one of the primary reasons I started the UberPOV project
in the first place).