POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Wanted: Air and Water : Re: Wanted: Air and Water Server Time
19 May 2024 04:05:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wanted: Air and Water
From: Alain
Date: 11 Feb 2016 20:07:09
Message: <56bd303d@news.povray.org>
Le 16-02-10 21:35, Sven Littkowski a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> does anyone have a realistic way to simulate air and water?
>
> For the air, it should make everything fading in distance to a air blue
> and behave in all other ways also like atmosphere.
>
> And the water should have transparency that becomes more bluish in
> distance, simply like real water, too.
>
> I intend to use both inside a cylinder, where the air would be in the
> shape of a cylinder, and the water in the shape of a difference
> (cylinder/cylinder).
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.

For air, use a low density scattering media with a blueish tint, like
rgb<0.5, 0.7, 1>
Make sure that your container have the hollow option enabled. Simply
adding "hollow" is enough.
A quick and dirty alternative is the use of fog with the appropriate
colour. fog is fast and never interact with your light sources. It will
affect shadowed areas in the same way it affect lighted areas.
Appropriate for testing in the composition phase.

For the water, you can also use media, but, you can also use colour fading.
Adding refraction is crutial to get beleiveable water. Refraction is
turned on by having an ior in the interior block.

interior{ior 1.33 // typical water ior
  fade_colour <0.4, 0.66, 0.9>
  fade_distance SomeDistanceValue
  fade_power 1 // or 1001
}

Adjust "SomeDistanceValue" as needed to get the result that you want.
Fading is compatible with the use of media.
You don't need the media if you want to model very limpid water, but
media is required if the water is to have any turbidity.
Colour fading is fast, very fast compared with scattering media, so, the
testing won't take much time.

Alain