POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Colony Ship : Re: The Colony Ship Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:51:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Colony Ship
From: clipka
Date: 11 Feb 2016 18:14:59
Message: <56bd15f3$1@news.povray.org>
Am 11.02.2016 um 22:28 schrieb Sven Littkowski:
> At the moment, I am using around 2,000 light sources for my ship inside.
> This is, to simulate a long stripe of light (5 km long) and with a white
> inside and sunset colors to the side.
>
> But I am considering to make the central cylinder along the middle axis
> much thicker, and to put an .hdr image around it, emitting light. This
> might MAYBE save me a lot of computing time.

I wouldn't expect that to speed up rendering; this would require the
first "bounce" of light to be computed via radiosity, which is primarily
designed for computing light coming from all around, but performs rather
poorly (read: exhibits artifacts unless you invest a lot of rendering
time) for light coming predominantly from a comparatively small region
of the surroundings.

My personal suggestion would be to use a long 1-dimensional area light
(or a number thereof) with area_illumination active, wrapped in a
filtering cylinder.