POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Colony Ship : Re: The Colony Ship Server Time
28 Jun 2024 21:25:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Colony Ship
From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 8 Feb 2016 01:41:12
Message: <56b83888$1@news.povray.org>
When we speak or even think about such things, we must not do this by
imaging the materials we are using today. I agree, the bigger an object,
the more fragile it is.

I personally believe, as our knowledge and skills expand steadily
through the decades and centuries (and millennia), we will have very
exotic and very stable materials in the future. Already today, we are
able to process and also to manipulate materials on the nano level, even
molecular.

For some of the space vessels of my Space Ark, to give an example, I
imagined an out material of industrially grown (or even 3D-printed)
diamond, with integrated circuits and sensors and all such, all grown on
a molecular level.

Same here: for such a hypothetical vast construction like this habitat
cylinder, the children of our children would use materials that overcome
the weaknesses of today's materials.

But beside: I am also stating clearly, that I believe, such habitat
cylinders will never be build. Before that happens, our progenies will
found ways to simulate gravity through something in the ship floors. The
attributes of matter are responsible for gravity. They will find ways,
as we always have found. I think, I even would take some bet on that.

I just render my own cylindrical habitat, because Mike Horvath's habitat
inspired me, I admit. :-)