POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Colony Ship : Re: The Colony Ship Server Time
15 May 2024 11:30:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Colony Ship
From: clipka
Date: 7 Feb 2016 15:35:44
Message: <56b7aaa0$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.02.2016 um 16:37 schrieb Sven Littkowski:

> We have established a large cylinder, and work right now on the
> illumination of the inside habitat. In opposition to another colony ship
> (chief designer: Mr. Mike Horvath), our colony ship has a long
> construction along its middle axis, which features an artificial fusion
> sun system, that rotates just slightly slower than the cylinder habitat,
> thus achieving a real day and night phase for the colonists.

In effect, it'll probably be more like a bright sunny day vs. an
overcast day, due to light being reflected from the day side to the
"night" side. The "night" side may also receive tinted light, depending
on the overall colour of structures on the day side.

> The central construction, in which there is no gravity, contains the
> lights and beside rapid transport tubes, also our oxygen production
> (using a light-emitting porous tissue through which air is moving, with
> genetically modified cyano bacterias on the surface of that porous tissue.

You may want to rethink placing any living organisms near the central
light source. It might get pretty hot, and certainly blindingly bright.