POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Road to radiosity perfection for patio_radio. : Re: Road to radiosity perfection for patio_radio. Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:05:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Road to radiosity perfection for patio_radio.
From: scott
Date: 4 Feb 2016 09:15:14
Message: <56b35cf2$1@news.povray.org>
> Thanks for explanations. What is the relationship with other radiosity
> parameters ?

I tend to just use something like "count 10" and "recursion limit 3" and
then use the AA command line options (+a +am +r) to control the
graininess. Though I'm not sure whether it's more efficient to increase
"count" or increase the AA settings.

Check the official notes below, but if you want any more detail then I
suggest you ask clipka himself, the above is about the limit of my
knowledge with this feature. I just use it because I have far more spare
CPU time than brain time :-)

From: https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV/blob/master/changes.txt
--

Unbiased Diffuse Illumination:
------------------------------

   - UberPOV allows to disable the caching of radiosity samples, by
using the
     following syntax in the global radiosity block:

         no_cache [BOOL]

     It also changes the way the secondary ray directions are chosen, and
     effectively turns the radiosity algorithm into a purely stochastic
unbiased
     algorithm to compute diffuse illumination.

     Most radiosity settings are without effect in this mode, except for the
     following:

         adc_bailout FLOAT
         brightness FLOAT
         brilliance BOOL
         count FLOAT
         gray_threshold FLOAT
         media BOOL
         normal BOOL
         recursion_limit INT
         subsurface BOOL

     The current implementation does not translate classic radiosity
settings
     into useful parameters for this mode of operation; it is therefore
highly
     recommended to use a much lower setting for the "count" parameter than
     typical with standard radiosity.

     This syntax extension can be tested for using the #patch directive or
     patch() function with the patch name "upov-radiosity-no_cache"; the
current
     implementation is version 0.1.