POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Road to radiosity perfection for patio_radio. : Re: Road to radiosity perfection for patio_radio. Server Time
28 Jun 2024 21:57:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Road to radiosity perfection for patio_radio.
From: scott
Date: 4 Feb 2016 05:57:50
Message: <56b32eae$1@news.povray.org>
>> Don't forget you can always use the "no_cache" option (I think uberPOV
>> only?) to get a "reference" image. See attached, that took about 25 mins
>> on my machine using "count 10" and "recursion_limit 3". You'd obviously
>> need higher settings to get rid of the graininess, but at least then
>> you'd have something to compare the radiosity version with.
>
> Though I know about "no_cache" feature, I am not sure I know what it does
> exactly.

It provides an "unbiased" result - meaning that (assuming you use enough
samples) there is nothing in the algorithm used that will give rise to
any error in each pixel value. Even with far too few samples (as in my
image) the error is purely random noise in each pixel, there are no
systematic errors possible like bright or dark splotches.

> The point /IS/ to get rid of /ALL/ graininess and splotched, at high
> resolution.

Use "no_cache" with a high number of samples and just let it run. With
traditional radiosity, even after a lot of parameter tweaking, there is
always the risk you have a bright/dark area somewhere that you don't
notice is there. That's why I suggested using "no_cache" to generate a
reference image to compare the traditional radiosity versions with.
Doing a "difference" in a graphics package should make it obvious if
there are any splotches of dark/light where there shouldn't be.