POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Black pixels again : Re: Black pixels again Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:57:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black pixels again
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 3 Feb 2016 05:48:40
Message: <56b1db08$1@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/message/%3Cweb.56b13fdfffbcf045dea14abf0%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3Cwe
> b.56b13fdfffbcf045dea14abf0%40news.povray.org%3E
>
> Averaging normals seem to be a good way to cause such problems...
>

> Norbert

Hi Norbert,

I think the trigger is normals with turbulence scaled very, very small.
Perhaps the shape is seen inside out. Try replacing the averaged normals
in your primitives3.pov with the single normal :

normal { bumps 0.6 warp {turbulence 0.5} scale 0.01 scale 0.05 }

If the problem is still present as it was for me, try :

normal { bumps 0.6 warp {turbulence 0.0} scale 0.01 scale 0.05 }

or

normal { bumps 0.6 warp {turbulence 0.5} scale 1.01 scale 0.05 }

and see if the problem goes away for you too. If so then I guess
understanding how small is too small to use turbulence with normals,
whether a real bug etc.

Radiosity is sending out its own rays of course. I am not sure why those
rays seem more sensitive to what ever is happening than do rays directly
from the camera.

Aside: Wish I had your machine! I had to cut WAY back on the radiosity
settings to get things to turn reasonably for me & some chance this
affected results though I was seeing similar artifacts to those posted.

Bill P.