POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Broken Arrow : Re: Broken Arrow Server Time
26 Apr 2024 20:00:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Broken Arrow
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 29 Jan 2016 08:24:07
Message: <56ab67f7$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/29/2016 01:58 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 28.01.2016 um 16:10 schrieb clipka:
>
> Okay, having gone through the (for a Windows jockey) irritating hassle
> of setting up Ubuntu 12.04 myself on a VM, I can now confirm that this
> is a reproducable problem with the above set-up.
>
> But I'm a bit at a loss where to go from here; on Windows I'd just fire
> up the Visual Studio IDE and interactively step through code from there.
> I guess that's not how things are done on Linux, is it?
>
> Any recommendations welcome.

I'd be tempted to try -wt1 first just to see what happens...

Not a programmer. I have done some *nix debugging on and off over the
years. From some of those notes.

---
If you are somewhat routinely getting a core dump:

- Compile povray with the -g flag

- In the shell/xterm where you are running povray and getting a core
file use the command(1): ulimit -c unlimited

- run povray again to get the full core file.

- Then "gdb <full_path_to_povray> core" followed by one or more of the
following commands.
(gdb) bt
(gdb) bt full
(gdb) info threads
(gdb) thread apply all bt
(gdb) thread apply all bt full

- If the problem is in one of the libraries povray uses, you can grab
the debug versions of those libraries, rebuild, repeat. But, I'd bail
recommending a library update.

--- If the problem is a time out and exit, I am less sure what to do.

- You can run programs under gdb, but here my experience was many years
ago and singular. I just don't recall. There is eclipse as mentioned,
but I've never used it.

Bill P.

(1) - One possible gotcha here is if root on your virtual machine has
set a low hard limit. If so, only root can increase this limit. As
root(sudo in ubuntu) "ulimit -H unlimited".