POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: A Test Render : Re: Request: A Test Render Server Time
13 Jun 2024 13:40:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request: A Test Render
From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 28 Jan 2016 06:17:55
Message: <56a9f8e3$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks a lot! :-)
How many percent did you complete, do you remember?

Pretracing just 50 minutes? On my system, it took a whole day and the
whole night or so.

But it shows me also, what I needed to know: that other computer specs
can lead not just to small time benefits in rendering, but even to quite
remarkable time benefits.

I needed to know this, because I am considering more and more, because
of the slowness of my system, to use render farms for future test and
full renders. The bad thing is, that will take money. I live in the
so-called "Third World", and we people here have to work much longer to
earn our equivalent of one US Dollar than the average person in the USA
or in Western Europe. Means, for me this is a really big decision. Thus
my call for test renders.

If the results wouldn't be so dramatically different to my own time
consumption, I would have waited for more test renders of other persons.
But seeing such a big difference, I understand that only other computers
can deliver me my renders in an acceptable time.

Example: my own test render (same conditions as yours) lasts now already
4 days and 15 hours (right now at 19 pixels/minute), and still, I have
achieved only 9% of the entire render - that is, to remember, only a
PARTIAL rendering of the even much larger scene.