POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Colony ship : Re: Colony ship Server Time
6 Oct 2024 01:47:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colony ship
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 28 Jan 2016 03:16:53
Message: <56a9ce75$1@news.povray.org>
On 27-1-2016 21:13, Stephen wrote:
> On 1/27/2016 7:55 PM, Sven Littkowski wrote:
>> I even have Blender installed. But I don't get the beginning
>> understanding. I find it in general too difficult, to learn to use
>> WYSIWYG editors.
>
> I remember that you have mentioned that before.
>
>> I code all my scenes by hand, and out of my head. Much
>> easier.
>
> Not for me it's not. :(

I am only partially able to do that and increasingly rely on external
modellers. The advantage of those is that you can be as precise as with
the POV-Ray coordinate system and model using their internal coordinates
as input. Blender - I agree - still puts me out (but I am not
persevering enough). Using Wings3D could be a good alternative?
http://www.wings3d.com/

>> SketchUp is kinda more like drawing and then making it 3D. But I
>> will try again with Blender.
>>
> Don't do it just because I suggest it. I'm concerned that unless you
> become more than competent in UV mapping. Texturing a ginormous mesh
> will be very hard.
> Do you know about inkscape? Blender can take a 2D drawing done in
> inkscape and extend it in the third dimension. I mean that it can take a
> plan drawing and grow it upwards.
> https://inkscape.org/en/

Inkscape is an excellent tool indeed!

--